Urologists specialize in the health of the urinary system, as well as male reproductive health. For many brain and spinal cord injury survivors, urological issues are difficult to discuss, but urologists are experts who are accustomed to treating these issues. They provide urological assessment and treatment, as well as urological surgery. If you are a man struggling with infertility, a urologist will likely be your primary care provider.

Sometimes the problem is that brain and spinal cord signals don't properly travel to the urinary system, resulting in incontinence, erectile dysfunction, loss of sensation, or difficulties with sexual arousal. In other cases, spinal cord or brain injuries give rise to disuse that causes the urological system to deteriorate. For instance, if you have used a catheter for months, you might have difficulty detecting the urge to urinate. Urological infections are also prevalent among spinal cord injury survivors, particularly those who are immobilized in the hospital or unable to void without assistance.

Your primary care provider can often treat simple urological issues, such as urinary tract infections or frequent urges to urinate. If your problems are more complex, or if your primary care provider's treatments have failed, it's time to seek specialized help. Some questions to consider asking your urologist include:

  • Have you worked with people with brain or spinal cord injuries before?
  • Can you partner with my primary care provider to offer a comprehensive treatment plan?
  • Do you have a specialty?
  • Is my issue primarily urological, or neurological?

Urologist Directories